As a prerequisite for a permanent testnet on Tezos, we need a mechanism to centrally upgrade its protocol to closely follow mainnet.
The governance dictator key is going to be merged into octez soon, which means such a mechanism will be available.
See previous agora discussion as well.
Therefore, we are proposing to turn Ithacanet into a permanent testnet, using the following method:
- shortly after Jakarta activation, we upgrade Ithacanet to Jakarta using a user-activated upgrade: this requires most testnet operators to change their node’s configuration to hard-code the upgrade. This needs to happen soon, in less than 2 weeks.
- after Jakarta activates, we change this testnet’s name across the ecosystem to Ghostnet
- again, shortly before K protocol activation, we coordinate with node operators to perform an user-activated upgrade to K protocol
- K protocol will contain the logic testnet governance dictator key (only active on chains other than mainnet, obviously). It will also contain special code for Ithacanet/Ghostnet (identified by its chain id) that sets the dictator key to a key controlled by Oxhead Alpha, the company operating the teztnets.xyz platform
- moving forward, Oxhead Alpha will perform Ghostnet upgrades administratively, using the dictator key. Testnet node operators no longer need to change their configuration at each upgrade (they do need to keep their nodes up-to-date with the latest versions of Octez).
This is the plan. Any comments or concerns, please let us know here.
Update: ghostnet is live. See details.