An impromptu chat with Gabriel Alfour about the L2 solution Optimistic Rollups

I had the pleasure of asking Mr Alfour about zk-Rollups and thought others might benefit from the convo so I thought I’d share it here:

Jarrod Woodard:
Hi there! Would you mind giving a introduction?

Jarrod Woodard:
I see that ( in part ) you’re working on layer 2 solutions via side chains and optimistic roll ups. Would those side chain happen to be zkChannels?

Gabriel:
Yup. I worked at NL (even before NL started) for a year, then went on to create ligolang.org, after a while, I wanted to do core dev again (and LIGO Lang’s team became more autonomous, having had a lot of experience). so I went on to Marigold back in November. we started with QoL amendments (that are likely getting merged in H), and are now pivoting to Layer 2s

Jarrod Woodard:
That is awesome, thank you for sharing!

For regular zkroll-ups and optimistic zkroll-ups, they require better hardware than a regular node to process from my understanding. Is that right?

Jarrod Woodard:
In terms of processing the contents of the roll-up. A regular node should be able to include the roll-up in the chain.

Gabriel:
Optimistic Rollups (ORUs) don’t require better hardware, but ZKRUs do

Gabriel:
For the same amount of computation I meant ^

Jarrod Woodard:
Ahhhh, an important distinction, thanks for clearing that up.

Gabriel:
So, if you need to process 1000 tx, ORU will require comparable hardware, but ZkRU will require something a whole lot more (I think x100-x1000 for now, but I’m not confident)

Jarrod Woodard:
Indeed, been serving the community since the beginning.

Jarrod Woodard:
Wow!

Gabriel:
But the main goal of RUs is that you can afford to have higher compute requirements without compromising decentralization

Gabriel:
For instance, let’s say you want to process 100x more tx, with the exact same software

Gabriel:
One way to do this is to say that each node should have 100x more hardware

Gabriel:
But this would hurt security through decentralization: as node costs would skyrockets, way fewer people would be afford to have nodes, and the security of the network ultimately depends on the number of nodes

Gabriel:
However, in the case of RUs, higher computing requirements don’t hurt security, because it doesn’t rely on decentralization

Gabriel:
For ZkRUs, you don’t need any node to be honest
For ORUs, you need a single node to be honest

Gabriel:
Instead of like 2/3rd of the network

Gabriel:
I hope that’s clear enough

Jarrod Woodard:
Thank you so much, that is very helpful. You need the node that creates the roll-up to be honest, correct?

Gabriel:
Nope. You only one node among all ORUs validators to be honest

Gabriel:
Not a particular node, any node, given that any one can validate

Gabriel:
So that’s a very weak requirement: indeed, if no one at all is honest in your network, you have more serious problems :smiley:

Jarrod Woodard:
Ahhhh, okay. Other nodes can challenge the honesty and punish them if they are dishonest?

Gabriel:
Exactly

Jarrod Woodard:
Quite true.

Jarrod Woodard:
Nice! …so even a regular node ( hardware power wise ) can challenge the honesty. They don’t need specialized hardware?

Gabriel:
For ORUs, there are two ways to scale:

1. more hardware / bigger hardware / specialized hardware, but that’s ok, because you only need one honest validator with enough hardware to verify. you need need everyone to verify
  2. more rollups. in that case, you only need a single honest validator for each rollup, and each validator only requires regular hardware

Jarrod Woodard:
Would you mind explaining what you mean by ‘more rollups.’

As in more of the transactions on the chain are rollups?

Johann :tulip::
I think Arthur explained this a bit in his recent video Tezos: Approaches to Scalability. - YouTube

Gabriel:
You can have multiple rollups in parallel, that’s what I meant

Jarrod Woodard:
Thank you so much for the insight Mr Alfour!

7 Likes

there seems to be more questions than answers

It was pretty spontaneous and I’m sure he was working on other things at the time. I completely understand his either missing or not answering some questions.

He did provide an introduction though.

Anyone else is more than welcome to fill in the blanks and answer the questions that did not get addressed.

1 Like

Nice. Tnx for this little glimpse into the future!

1 Like