Governance for DApps

I’ve been thinking about the many tokens in the Ethereum ecosystem, and most are governance tokens. I believe if Tezos blockchain can provide a way so governance could be done using Tez itself, it would be a great value add - Dapp developers need not worry about offering newer tokens, but can focus only on their product.

Let’s take the case of dexter or kolibri, they might need some kind of governance to set different parameters in their dapp encouraging them to offer governance tokens. But, if there is a native way to offer governance through Tez itself, then it would be beneficial for the ecosystem.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on this.

1 Like

Dapp developers need not worry about offering newer tokens, but can focus only on their product.

Governance tokens are for profit, not for governance
Usually there’s nothing to govern

2 Likes

The way I have been thinking about this is that any Dapp contract should have a “admins” array of addresses that are allowed to modify certain parameters. One of the these addresses (or perhaps the only one) could be another contract - where the governanace actually happends. This “governanace contract” could implement a wide range of different voting schemes or other governanace mechanisms.

An example of using XTZ would be that participants in the governance contract could purchase a “voting ticket” using XTZ that would allow them to issue a proposal or vote on a proposal to modify some properties of the dapp contract.

Perhaps we need a governance token standard.

1 Like

Agree, a framework for governance should be there.