Maelstrom - first on-chain mixer on Tezos

Cheers everybody,

we released the first version of Maelstrom (https://maelstrom.fi) last week, which empowers users to:

a) send Tezos to the contract and withdraw any amount of their liking from as many addresses they want to until the withdraws exceed the amount of Tezos, which have been send to the contract initially. During this process, there is no logical link between the sending and any of the withdrawing transaction(s). The user pays a small fee for using this process.

b) users can “lock” Tezos within the contract by sending Tezos to it (we call this provide liquidity). We wrote “lock”, because they can withdraw their Tezos any time the want. While users have Tezos locked in the contract, they are entitled to portions of the fees which the users pay when mixing Tezos.

That’s it for a small overview of the functionality. For a more detailed description, please head to our Medium post: Maelstrom — first on chain mixer DApp for Tezos (XTZ) | by Tezosmixermaelstrom | Feb, 2021 | Medium

We are currently working on the 2nd release, which will provide the same functionality for FA2 token.

Please tell us what you think about our solution. We would love to hear back from you.

3 Likes

This looks promising!

1 Like

Congrats on the release. Interested in hearing your thoughts about how Maelstrom fits in under the context that Sapling has now been introduced in EDO? Do you see them as complementary?

I would imagine mixing, and then entering the shielded pool would be better for privacy than simply withdrawing Tez straight from an exchange and entering a shielded pool … but I’m not sure where privacy leaks throughout the whole process.

Also, are you looking into a way to link Maelstrom into DEX’s (once Dexter is back, and whenever Quipuswap launches). One thing I’ve seen on Ethereum is that people watch specific addresses to inform themselves about market moves. Something like routing a transaction from Maelstrom into a DEX address directly. Then once they’re done swapping, withdraw from the DEX and into Maelstrom, and then into their personal address.

There was also this medium post about MASP: Multi-asset shielded pool project (MASP). How long do you think it would take Malestrom to build up a sufficiently sizable anonymity set for both XTZ and individual tokens?

1 Like