Sapling support/adoption in Tezos ecosystem - Current state

I looked at better call dev. When I want to shield some ctez to ghostnet what should I need to do? I just see the entrypoint “default” on BCD.

If you choose to interact with the contract through BCD, you would need to generate a sapling transaction through the CLI using your secret key using one of the published sapling guides. This will produce the bytes that the default entry point accepts. As this sapling contract will transfer ctez from one account to another, you will also need to add a token approval for the ctez contract (KT1Q4qRd8mKS7eWUgTfJzCN8RC6h9CzzjVJb) for the amount you wish to shield.

If you interact with the contract through https://ghostnet.tezmitter.com then all you need to do is load up a secret key, then you can shield, transfer, and unshield ctez using the UI. It will also display your shielded balance.

1 Like

What I think would be a great addition to the sapling ecosystem on Tezos would be to have some sort of ledger integration for signing sapling transactions.

1 Like

This is a great idea. How can we make that happen?

Probably more effective to integrate with wallets directly first

1 Like

We all are waiting for it… :frowning:

New Sapling Tutorial for tokens from @claudebarde
https://twitter.com/claudebarde/status/1648344352010252288

1 Like

What about umami adding sapling support? @NomadicLabs

Temple and Kukai have no interest to add as far as I know

2 Likes

I saw that zcash is currently adding sapling support for ledgers Shielded Support for Ledger Hardware Wallets (NanoS+, NanoX) - #57 by hanh - Applications - Zcash Community Forum.

I wonder how this can this be modified to work for Tezos.

5 Likes

Has anyone put any thought into if it is possible to build a Sapling DEX? Seems like it could be an interesting use-case. Being able to shield one asset and unshield another would be convenient, but not sure if it would be straightforward given the UTXO model.

Would love to see more people building with Sapling.

There was an effort to do this some time ago, but the team moved on. Still, there might be something to pick up: MASP integration on Tezos

1 Like

What effort do you mean, the Team from the article? Even the wallet made by Nomadic Labs - Umami- does not support Sapling! How can we expect some adoption if no wallet supports it? Its a vicious circle.

And regarding your linked MASP article its from 2020 and it says at the bottom:

Metastate has ceased its activities on the 31st of January 2021. The team members have joined a new company and working on a new project. If you’re interested in distributed systems research and engineering and systems engineering in Rust, checkout the open positions at Heliax.

Its sad to see that sapling gets literally so ignored and all the efforts are just lost

The question was about a sapling DEX. Metastate is no longer working on Tezos but the MASP repo referenced in the article is still being maintained and the sapling extensions could be ported to the Tezos protocol, making a private DEX feasible.

You are right though, the current usage of sapling is very low (only a few tx a month) so it’s not worth the effort at this stage.

Edit: I was actually confused, MASP means that you can have several types of tokens in the same sapling contract, but that does not imply the ability to run a DEX inside of it. Some research says it is impossible.

1 Like

Yeah sad to see how little it is used. I have tested and used it quite a bit.
I love the idea of a private DEX.

2 Likes

Hello @AndrewKishino is your tezmitter app open source? Can I take a look at the code implementation?

Hey @Britcoin, I just published it at GitHub - AndrewKishino/Tezmitter. ATM there is no documentation, but you can at least look through the implementation.

1 Like

Great thank you very much

Are there any new development about sapling on Tezos, the initial contract sees absolutely no activity. Making it useless. Are there any other contract that is more active?

2 Likes