Tezos Kenya Grant Proposal for Tezos Ecosystem DAO

1. Name: Tezos Kenya
  2. Email or contact method: deyafrank@gmail.com
  3. Geographic location: Nairobi, Kenya
  4. Are you applying on behalf of a company, or as an individual: Applying as an individual
  5. Name of project or idea: Tezos Kenya Community Building Initiative
  6. Detailed description of your project or idea and why you believe it deserves funding: This project aims to foster the growth, engagement and activities within the blockchain ecosystem in Kenya for purposes of expanding the reach & awareness of the Tezos ecosystem. It will involve multifaceted activities that focus on three core components: (i) developer workshops; which are technical training sessions on Tezos smart contract development & other relevant topics. (ii) Community & Networking Meet-ups; which engage enthusiasts, ambassadors & students on forums such as Tezos Campus Meet & Greet and (iii) Social Media Engagements & Content Creation; which will involve maintaining an active twitter presence through regular posts, threads, weekly twitter spaces and a Tezos Africa Podcast.
  7. What type of background or experience do you have and your team have in building out a project like this: (i) I have been leading & running the Tezos Kenya Chapter since it’s inception. (ii) Since 2017, I have been actively involved in building, growing and educating the blockchain ecosystem across Africa in different capacities working with a network of thought leaders & influencers on the same.
  8. Social handles of project, if any: https://twitter.com/TezosKenya
  9. Funding amount being requested (please make sure the DAO treasury can currently support it, suggested range is 500–20,000 tez depending on project requirements and value): 5,000 XTZ
  10. Tez address to be funded (please verify accuracy): tz1Xa9Tp2YtfiUSfv7t9EvfT1h2KcSTYigZm
  11. Proposed goals/GPIs to deliver for the requested funding: (i) Increase awareness and adoption of Tezos blockchain within the Kenyan developer & business communities (ii) Educate the relevant communities and empower them with resources to build on and contribute to the ecosystem. (iii) Create a strong and engaged community for knowledge sharing and collaborations. (iv) Organize 2 in-person Tezos focused developer workshops that will pave the way for a Tezos Kenya Hackathon event & a Tezos Kenya Developers Program (v) Establish a series of Tezos Campus Meet & Greet Sessions that engages student communities in readiness for the establishment of a Tezos Campus Ambassador Program. (vi) Maintain an active Social Media presence on the Tezos Kenya Twitter account & a Tezos Africa Podcast that engages the African based Tezos developers, builders and community leads to share their insights & stories.
3 Likes

Kenya is a key pillar of Tezos community presence in east Africa. Continued cultivation of it is important for Tezos overall as we show that we are a truly ‘global’ ecosystem.

We can observe that Kenya has already started making contributions to the Tezos ecosystem (see Nyayomat from the Tezos Foundation Biannual report below).

[https://tezos.foundation/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Tezos_Foundation_Biannual_MAR_23.pdf]

3 Likes

Africa is the next destination for web3 entrance and funding to close the digital divide, I strongly believe that Kenya is a tech hub and any Blockchain related solution built on Tezos ecosystem should be given expression. Kudos Tezos Kenya

1 Like

I appreciate the determination of African/regional leads in this initiative especially for growth awareness and building solutions with Tezos and the ecosystems support to the causes especially with provision of funds. Likely iam borrowing a leaf to startup this very initiative in Uganda. With any recommendations someone can guide on how to start this. Thank you