Week of November 30 - Questions for the Tezos Foundation

Since you don’t publicly support Tezos, aren’t involved in social media, don’t support bakers, and aren’t transparent, how will Tezos ever become a top 5 project.

2 Likes

I have been a Tezos supporter since inception and I am one of the members that is becoming increasingly concerned by the The Foundation. Bakers are leaving us which means we are in danger of becoming even more centralised than we currently are, Is something being done to address this issue?

My next question is whether The Foundation will change the approach of providing funding to projects. Developers need funding to provide us with the fantastic goodies we see on other chains. Tezos is great but there is definitely alot of competition and some people WILL leave and build elsewhere. No Funding = No Projects.

The Foundation needs to address these concerns. The situation is now untenable and I believe action must be taken soon before this project fades into obscurity.

1 Like

Let’s be real here and put this into perspective. We went from 408 bakers to 395. That’s a net loss of 13 bakers, who very well might not have left, but forgot to update their node. Where are you seeing that Tezos Foundation is not supporting developers? Are you just piggybacking off the above posts without even looking into these assertions because I can debunk these in less than 1 minute by reading the weekly TF updates.

How about you quit being a dramatic gopher and use real facts instead of anecdotes?

1 Like

We would certainly consider increasing the amount of funding given to grant recipients for major projects, as we know that a large development team costs money.

3 Likes

@Barry_Badrinath we are the baker that @xpop was taking about. We did apply for a grant in the early days as we were providing a number tools to the community (some of you may remember the tools as they were a stop gap while the community developed better ones). The proposal was to provide mainnet and testnet nodes to the community. We spent many weeks putting the proposal together and in the end didn’t get it. We understand that we may not have made the grade to the foundations high standard, which is fine but what was not fine is that we never got any feedback apart from we didn’t get it. All we were told is that it went to the last stage and was rejected. The problem we had was that we got no feedback at all or even if we could apply again.

We also have recently stopped all our Tezos testing nodes and running any testing as we can no longer justify the costs. We have been involved in running the testnets from the beginning and even wrote a long article on Agora how the foundation could use their XTZ rewards to pay for testing in a decentralised way (which would help teams like us pay for the testing infrastructure). Unfortunately none of the ideas were taken up (or even discussed) so we regrettable took down our testing infrastructure a month ago. We are also raising our fees to 15% as of the 1st Jan for new business (we never up the fees on existing customers) because the cost of carry on our bond is now negative. In other words after chain inflation and taxes we lose money everyday by posting the bond for baking. We can’t keep running a business that losses money and so had to increase our fees.

It’s sad for us to leave Tezos but we can no longer make any money as a small baker and we have now moved on. We have sold a significant chunk of our holdings and plan to just bake for our loyal customers. We don’t have a choice but to leave the Tezos eco system. We always hoped that the foundation would reduce their baking so we all benefit from the decentralisation and the extra rewards. But they continue to bake as aggressively as they can and at this rate will be 30% by next year. No small baker can afford to run a service under these conditions. Such a centralised network is not for us. We hope we can come back one day but for us it’s sadly no longer a viable venture. We wish everyone in Tezos community well and we will still be watching from afar. Hope that clarifies our position.

4 Likes

This was the article [Testing Framework(Athens to Babylon — Part 1: Testing Framework and Test Driven Development)] we wrote and was our cry for help to get funding for testing. We were not asking for direct funding but a decentralised way to be rewarded us for the efforts we did on the testnets. Unfortunately we had to close down our testing operations last month after running for almost 3 years. It’s a shame but we no longer covering our costs to even consider the luxury of running test networks. If strange that the foundation is so rich but the community is so poor. We don’t want handouts and won’t go begging but we want ways to incentive us to provide services to the community, we at Tez Baker failed to achieve this but hopefully others are more successful.

3 Likes

just sayin…

Let me get this straight, you asked for grant funding, but then you say, “we were not asking for direct funding”. That does not inherently make sense at all. How about this TezBaker, put your grant up in Agora and let the community decide if it is worthwhile or not instead of making allegations and pointing fingers. How about you put your exact grant and the amount you were asking for and let the community decide if this is something we should be up in arms about?

It cost so much to run a testnode… let me tell you… I run 1 of them, and you know what it cost me? My monthly internet bill… Your guise of feigning can’t make ends meet, not profitable etc, is very disingenuous. However, I will say your testing proposal is actually very good and more should be revisited on this.

@Barry_Badrinath why are you being so aggressive, I was just asked to clarify our position? You are reading two different parts of our message and combining them. We applied for a grant early on and didn’t get any feedback why we were refused. Then we said for testing we were not looking at direct funding but suggest ways in which testing could be funded. Two different issues.

On cost we run all our infrastructure in tier 3 data centres as we are a professional organisation that we provide institutional level service and yes it is expensive. We never said anything about we can’t make ends meet! We said it is no longer a viable venture for us and gave you our reasons. We are running negative carry on Tezos so that is a situation we can’t maintain forever.

I never understand these forums as I try to explain our rational and we get shot down with aggressive response. And to be clear I was not pointing fingers at anyone I was just replying because you said to @xpop we wouldn’t come on here to comment. Anyway good luck with your venture on Tezos in the future.

4 Likes

I apologize if I came off aggressive, and I really do commend you for stepping in and responding. I do think the testing framework you laid out was good, very good to be precise. I understand your decision and you are running a business after all, so business decisions need to be made. I do hope that that this topic of response times/feedback is addressed. Best of luck to you all at TezBaker!

2 Likes

I wonder if TEZ Baker applied for a grant today, what would the outcome be? Since the Tezos Foundation got a “reboot” of sorts in August this year, perhaps things will be different?

We need to strike while the iron is hot to solidify Tezos as a long term crypto leader. This means supporting anything and everything that has a reasonable chance of boosting the community.

The ultimate issue here is the TF has an attitude of “we fund things, write a proposal, we will see,” which would be fine if there was transparency in the process from end to end (barring a few obvious details of course, I’m not a madman). Without transparency people see certain things wither and certain people complain about the process and there is nothing to reference so it turns into a she said he said situation.

We have the STOs, we have the institutions, we have the bank forges. Well done Tezos Foundation! What we need to do is secure the goodwill of the community. The better the goodwill, the stronger the cohesion, the more legitimate we will be for the long run. This will translate into more bakers and more devs, the people who form the spine of this project.

1 Like

Hello, What is tezos foundations role in marketing? The white paper promised such things as ‘buying a tv station’… But there is almost zero presence of tezos within twitter or any social networks. With so much money donated by ICO investors such as myself… We expected a lot more on this front. Marketing and building more than just a community of developers but also a community of investors, can this be made more of a priority in the future? We need both.

1 Like

This post deserves a reply

Strategy is that blockchain platform offered by tezos is so advanced that people will be coming to it themselves, without any marketing.

That question on marketing was answered in our FAQ here

I’ve seen that tweet which might help you: https://twitter.com/TQTezos/status/1336681253358227458

" Kiln 0.8.3 is now available. This version primarily fixes a post-Delphi issue experienced by some 0.8.2 users in which the Archival node was on the wrong branch. Users running 0.8.2 don’t have to update. Visit https://tezos-kiln.org for more information."

that is the stupidest thing i’ve ever heard in the crypto space… shit coins make up the top 10 mostly… and their volume is often 20x tez at least… and the tech is currently much better… soo

I was being facetious.

sorry ive just been getting fed up lately

We’re entering a scary time in terms of how the broader community is viewing TF- for a long time benefit of doubt has been afforded to TF’s behavior, but that appears to be rapidly coming to a halt. The failure of TF to alter its baking behavior is becoming a serious point of contention. With TF dominance of baking, many bakers are leaving as they can’t succeed beating network inflation by 1% after TF’s massive share of baking rewards. Exactly how far is TF willing to push the community to the breaking point and drive away new and old participants alike?

1 Like