Building on the last 2 historic efforts to decentralize funding for Tezos ecosystem initiatives using the protocol invoice feature to do so (via PtMumbaiv, PtNairob7) we present this proposal for a specific cause and an urgent need. And just like PtMumbaiv, PtNairob7, this proposal will not alter the stock proposal code that the core development firms will provide, but merely add to it.
Tezos Africa Foundation—a critical organization to the Tezos global ecosystem—dedicated to promoting the Tezos platform across Africa, is currently facing funding challenges after its grant was not renewed/approved from the Tezos Foundation due to budget cuts. The amount was for $100,000. To address this issue, we propose to amend the upcoming Tezos blockchain protocol upgrade, ‘O’ (to be named) upgrade, which would allocate a subsidy of 100,000 XTZ to the Foundation. This solution aims to secure the future of Tezos adoption and education in Africa.
About Tezos Africa Foundation
Formed by a group of enthusiasts, innovators, and software developers, Tezos Africa Foundation’s primary objective is to promote the adoption of the Tezos blockchain in the region through various initiatives delivered in both English and French:
- Education: The Foundation conducts development training events to teach participants about Tezos smart contract development frameworks, such as SmartPy, Ligo, and Truffle.
- Events: Tezos Africa Foundation organizes meetups and events at educational institutions, promoting knowledge about blockchain technology and the Tezos platform.
- Building bridges with communities: The Foundation’s chapter leads engage with local tech communities during tech events, discussing the potential adoption and application of the Tezos blockchain to solve community problems.
- Setting up Bakers: Foundation chapters contribute to securing the Tezos blockchain and participate in the network by establishing bakers, which are crucial for the network’s security and functionality.
- Hackathon/Fellowships: Tezos Africa Foundation organizes hackathons to encourage innovation and support individuals and teams in developing projects on the Tezos blockchain.
Tezos Africa Foundation supports the growth of Tezos communities across various African nations through their member chapters including:
- Tezos Cameroon
- Tezos Ghana
- Tezos Nigeria
- Tezos Senegal
- Tezos Tunisia
- Tezos Togo
- Tezos Burkina Faso
- Tezos Zimbabwe
- Tezos Kenya
- Tezos Ivory Coast
- Tezos Uganda
The Funding Solution: Protocol Upgrade
The proposed amendment to the upcoming O protocol upgrade aims to provide Tezos Africa Foundation with the necessary funding to continue their mission.
If the proposed amendment is approved and succeeds through stages ultimately through Adoption and the funds are issued, the funds will be securely controlled by a multisig (multi-signature) contract, which has already been in service for Tezos Africa for nearly a year. The multisig contract ensures that all actions regarding the use of funds must be approved by Tezos Africa Foundation, adding an additional layer of security and accountability.
The keyholders of this 2-of-2 full consensus multisig, to which both parties must sign for funds to be transferred are the same stewards of Tezos Africa that have had a strong track record of trust and accountability:
Chanel ‘Nelly’ Chatau-Diop